10 Things You Need to Know Before Bay Bites Food Truck Festival
When: Wednesday, July 25 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Where: Cooper Riverside Park.
With Bay Bites quickly approaching, we hope you’ve all started mentally and physically preparing (fasting and hydrating, we mean) for the excitement that lies ahead. From wings and roasted corn to mexican fare and homestyle soul food, we’ll have a little something to offer for every type of foodie out there. Not to mention refreshing desserts, beer, wine, music, corn hole, water activities and more surprises to come.
This isn’t going to be your typical Wednesday evening, so we don’t want you to be left in the dark before you take your first bite of food or first plunge down the waterslide. Here are 10 things you need to know before #BayBites2018 officially kicks off on July 25.
1. Buy Your Tickets in Advance. Bay Bites keeps growing - and tickets are going fast! To save a few bucks, secure your spot, and make the check-in process go much quicker (a.k.a get your first drink faster), we strongly encourage everyone to purchase tickets in advance.
** Very Important to note: Online ticket sales close at 2 p.m on Wednesday July 25. After this time, any remaining tickets will be available at the gate for $25. *Warning the event has sold out the last 2 years so please get ahead of the game and buy your tickets online here before you go!
How to Enter the Event: Upon arriving, please bring the email receipt you received when you purchased your tickets. You can show us the receipt on your phone or bring a printed copy. Follow the signs to enter the line according to the first letter of your last name and we will have your name and number of tickets listed. If you bought multiple tickets for friends, please share the receipt email with them and ask them to enter the line under your last name as well.
2. New Changes to This Year. You spoke...and we listened. For the first time in Bay Bites history, we're thrilled to offer wine! BeatBox Beverages will be on site offering something for all of our wine lovers out there. As a reminder, guests can use their drink token for beer, wine, coke products, Dasani water, or Powerade. Plus, we’re extending the event an extra hour until 9 p.m. and adding a few more trucks to give you more time and more food to enjoy a wonderful (bug-free) night on the Mobile Riverfront. Did we say bug free? That’s right! We listened to your concerns last year and the Mobile County Health Department will be spraying the park prior to the evening to alleviate some of those pesky critters. Huge thanks to MCHD!
3. Bring Some Extra Cash. After you buy your ticket online, be sure to stop by an ATM and get some extra cash before you come. Your entrance fee includes three drink tokens (craft beer, wine, coke products, Dasani Water, or Powerade), but food and other activities will be separate. You’ll want some cash for the food trucks (most accept cards too), extra drink tokens, Segways, and other activities. Plus, we'll have some awesome Baykeeper merchandise for sale at our membership table. Stop on by, learn more about our work, get your official Baykeeper gear, and become a member!
4. Win a Prize. Speaking of membership, did you know that you can win a SweetWater Brewing prize package (pictured above) this year at Bay Bites? This comes with an official SweetWater beer ice chest, hammock (with straps), inner tube, hat, and T-Shirt. All you have to do is donate $25 (non-members) to enter the membership giveaway and receive an annual membership to Mobile Baykeeper and a chance to win this prize package valued at $425! If you’re already a member, you only have to pay $15 to enter to win the giveaway. Becoming a member is the best way you can get more connected and support our work for clean water, clean air, and healthy communities. Learn more about membership here.
5. Volunteers Still Needed. We’re still looking for volunteers to help with event setup and breakdown, check-in, monitoring the entrance and exit areas, handing out wristbands, checking IDs, working the coke truck, different games and exhibits, and more. The good news is you don’t have to work the whole time - there are different shifts available and if you work for a couple of hours, your wristband is on us! Click here to learn more and sign up!
6. Parking & Transportation. Wondering where to park? You’ve got options. There will be very limited free space available in the CSX/Water St. Parking Lot in front of the park and our friends at the Convention Center will also be offering parking in their garage for $5. You can also find street parking throughout downtown. Lastly, for those of you who are able to do so, we encourage you to walk or bike to the park. Why not save a few bucks and get a little exercise before your feast begins?
7. Special Offers. Who doesn't love a good deal? Our friends at GulfQuest Maritime Museum are offering a $3 discount to visit GulfQuest up to three days after Bay Bites (Thursday, July 26 - Saturday, July 28) if you show your wristband upon entering the museum. Also, Mobile Segway Tours will be at the event offering a sweet $10 deal on Segway rides in the park. Ever played Maze Runner? Well… they will be keeping guests on their toes - literally - with a maze along the waterfront. A portion of these proceeds will be coming back to support our work for clean water, clean air, and healthy communities.
8. Reduce the Use. We’re an environmental organization and strive to make our events as environmentally friendly as possible. Therefore, we’ll be selling (or maybe you were an early bird who received a free one with your event ticket) our green, special edition, color-changing 20th anniversary cups for $1 each at the entrance gate and near the beer tent to encourage the use of those reusable items. If you decide to use the plastic cups for beer, no problem, but please reuse the same cup throughout the night and feel free to take it home with you when you leave.
9. Snap Away. If you’re not on Snapchat yet, this could be the perfect time to “get hip” with millennials and launch your Snapchat debut. Plus, we’ll have a special Geofilter designed for Bay Bites to use all evening long. Not sure what a Geofilter is? Click here to learn more about it. If you’re not sold on Snapchat yet, no worries - upload photos on your social network of choice and don’t forget to use the hashtag “#BayBites2018” so we can see how much fun everyone has.
Do you follow us on social media? This is one of the best ways to keep up with the work we do. If you want to learn more, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to stay in the loop!
10. Rules, Rules, Rules. Please keep in mind a few important things:
- This is a rain or shine event. If we get a little rain, at least it'll cool things down for us. But let's keep our fingers crossed for plentiful sunshine and a nice breeze on the river.
- Anyone who attends Bay Bites under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. No exceptions.
- No pets are allowed.
- You must present your photo ID to enter the event and receive a wristband.
- and Last but not least.....
Now that you’ve conquered steps 1-10, the most important thing to remember is simply to have a good time. It’s not often that 1,000 plus Mobilians come together on a weeknight downtown to enjoy tasty food, cold beer, games, and music on the Mobile River, so let’s make the most of this special occasion and remember that proceeds from Bay Bites support a good cause - our work to ensure we have clean water, clean air, and healthy communities in Coastal Alabama.
The Bay Bites Rundown
Tickets: $20 in advance, $25 day of (online and at the gate). One ticket includes three drink tokens (beer, wine, coke products, Dasani Water, or Powerade) and access to some of the area's best food trucks, live music, and fun games.
Food/Dessert Trucks: BFF Food Truck, Frios Gourmet Pops, The Hotdoggery, Katie's Kotton Kandy, The Kraken Catering Company, VooDoo Kitchen, Mother Shucker's Corn Roasters, Southern Grill BBQ, Soul Heaven Cafe, Good Guys Mobile Unit, Tin-tins Rock and Roll Food Truck, and WeMo's Wings.
Live Music: We're excited to bring Roadside Glorious back to Bay Bites again this year! Roadside Glorious, a five-piece band from New Orleans who best describes their music as a "fusion of gritty soul, funk, rock, and blues". You might have also seen them perform at Southsounds Music Festival in downtown Mobile in 2016 or making waves up in Muscle Shoals at FAME Studios. Click here to listen to their single "Chasing Hope".
Drink up: Craft beer from SweetWater brewing, wine from Beatbox Beverages, and plenty of Dasani water, Powerade, and coke products to keep you hydrated.
Entertainment: corn hole and lawn games from O'Daly's Irish Pub, face painting from Copycats Face Painting, and water activies from Eastern Shore Inflatables and more surprises to come! We look forward to seeing all of you tomorrow. Thank you for supporting our work for clean water, clean air, and healthy communities!
Special Thanks to our 2018 Bay Bites Sponsors. This event wouldn't be possible without support from the following organizations: Austal, Bender Realty, BeatBox Beverages, Bunker One, Blue Rents, Cooper Marine & Timberlands Corp., Coca-Cola, Copycats Face Painting, Community Bank, Crow Shields Bailey PC, Dasani, GulfQuest, Gulf Distributing, Hargrove Engineers + Constructors, Integrity Roofing & Contracting, Mobile County Health Department, Mobile Segway Tours, O'Daly's Irish Pub, Springhill Toyota, Southshore Insurance Underwriters, SweetWater Brewing, and Wintzell's Oyster House.